Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
The History of Waterway Restoration
IWA has been supporting waterways restoration from the very start of the idea, when in 1949 IWA Midland Branch turned their attention to the neglected southern section of the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal. Robert Aickman wrote to the Evesham Journal proposing the complete restoration of the Warwickshire Avon. In 1950 fund raising was started for the restoration of the Lower Avon, which in June 1962 was formally reopened from Tewkesbury to Evesham.
May 1947 saw the IWA's first campaign cruise on the Stratford upon Avon Canal and in 1964 HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was at Stratford-upon-Avon to mark the reopening of the canal - the first canal restoration.
For more than sixty years IWA have been continually supporting canal restoration and has seen many successes. For more information see IWA History
Supporting Restoration Societies
Nearly all waterways restoration societies are corporate members of IWA which gives them the following advantages:
IWA provides volunteers for canal restoration through local branches and through the IWA Waterways Recovery Group who regularly organise Canal Camps and weekend events where volunteers from across the country, equipped with all the necessary tools and machinery, gather to clear channels, dig, lay bricks, fit lock gates and do all the other tasks needed to restore canals or rivers.
The Inland Waterways Accociation Funds Resoration in the following ways: