Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Waterway's place in Gwent :
From a point where the canal crosses Berthin Brook, just after Troedyrhiw Bridge No 61, and crosses into Gwent from Monmouthshire, to the end of the canal at Newport the canal is in Gwent.
Also called the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal, it runs 42 miles from Brecon to Newport, Gwent. The first 35 miles are navigable.
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted by Acts of 1793 and 1804 and opened in 1812. The Monmouthshire Canal by Acts of 1792, 1797 and 1862. The canals amalgamated in 1865. In 1933 commercial traffic ceased and the lift bridge at Talybont was replaced by a very low fixed bridge in about 1948. The Inland Waterways Association held a rally at Brecon in 1952 and in 1968 restoration work started with work on Brynich Lock, near Brecon. Official reopening of the canal from Pontypool to Brecon on 16 October 1970.
For more details see the Waterway details page.