Jim Shead Waterways Photographer & Writer
Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Home Introduction Waterways List Waterways Map Links Books DVD Articles Photo Gallery
Features Contact me Glossary Boats Events List History Local Waterways Help Photo List

Top 100 Sites

Waterways of Glamorganshire

Navigable Rivers and Canals within Glamorganshire

Crugiau Lock No 11 on the Neath Canal.

Aberdare Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

Waterway Description:

6.75 miles of canal from Ty-draw near Aberdare to Abercynon where it joined the Glamorganshire Canal.

History:

Promoted by an Act of 1793 and opened in 1812 and closed in 1900.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

A canal that runs through Powys, Monmouthshire and Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

Original name for the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Cyfarthfa Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

A canal that was entirely within Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

Was a two mile tub boat canal with no locks.

History:

Built by Anthony Bacon to connect his iron works to the coal pits and opened in the late 1770s. Abandoned about 1836 No traces remain.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Doctor's Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

The whole canal was in Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

A one mile level canal that ran from the Glamorganshire Canal at Denia to Treforest.

History:

Dr Richard Griffiths built this canal to serve coal mines on his land. It was opened in 1813 and was derelict by 1918.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Glamorganshire Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

Waterway Description:

Promoted by Act of 1790, ran from Merthyr Tydfil to Cardiff.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Glan-Y-Wern Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

The whole canal was in Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

Was a 3.5 mile canal across the Crymlyn bog in Glamorganshire from Glan-Y-Wern to Red Jacket pill on (but not connected with) the River Neath.

History:

Completed about 1790, disused after 1810, revived as part of the Tennant Canal around 1816, derelict in 1918.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Llansamlet (Smith's) Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

This abandoned canal was within Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

Was a 3 mile canal from collieries at Lansamlet, Glamorganshire, to the River Tawe at Foxhole, near Swansea.

History:

Completed about 1784, closed about 1852.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Mackworth's Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

This canal was entirely within Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

Was a 300 yard tidal cut from a pill on the River Neath about a mile below Neath town.

History:

Built in about 1696 to serve Sir Humphrey Mackworth's lead and copper works, disused about 1720.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Morris's Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

A canal entirely within Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

A mile long Glamorganshire canal used to bring coal to a copper works.

History:

Built about 1790, became part of the Trewyddfa Canal in 1794.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Neath and Tennant Canals

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

These canals are wholly within Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

Two separate, but inter-connecting, canals currently being restored by the Neath and Tennant Canal Preservation Society

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Neath Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

The whole canal is within the old county of Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

Runs 13 mile canal runs from Glyn Neath to Giants Grave, near Briton Ferry

History:

On 12 July 1790 a meeting was held at the Ship & Castle at Neath, attended by Lord Vernon and local people, at which it was resolved that a canal from Pontneddfechan to Neath would be of great public benefit. On 13 September 1790 a meeting held to approve the line of the canal, surveyed by Thomas Dadford Junior, his father and brother John. Promoted by an Act of 1791. By Mid 1792 Thomas Dadford Junior found it necessary to leave his post of General Surveyor, due to his being given the contract to build the Monmouthshire Canal.Thomas Sheasby replaced him. Ynysbwllog Aqueduct opened in 1792. The canal is now carried in pipes across the remains of this aqueduct. The canal was completed in 1795, but in May 1798 an Act of Parliament passed to extend the canal by 2.5 miles to near Briton Ferry. On 29 July 1799 the canal, extended to the Giant's Grave was opened. From 1882 to 1886 dividends were not paid. Navigation ceased on the Neath Canal in 1934 and about the same time the Tennant canal stopped carrying commercial traffic.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Pen-clawdd Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

An abandoned Glamorganshire canal.

Waterway Description:

Was 3 miles and 5 furlongs of canal from Pen-clawdd to Kingsbridge, near Gowerton.

History:

Authorised by an Act of 1811, opened in 1814

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Penrhiwtyn Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

A Glamorganshire canal.

Waterway Description:

Was a 1 mile 3 furlong level canal from a pill at Giant's Grave on the River Neath to iron works at Penrhiwtyn.

History:

Built between 1790 and 1795 and became part of the Neath Canal in 1797.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Red Jacket Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

An abandoned Glamorganshire canal.

Waterway Description:

A 1 mile 7 furlong canal connecing to the Glan-y-wern Canal and thus connecting the River Neath with the River Tawe.

History:

Started in 1817 and completed in 1818 without an Act of Parliament. Disused by about 1922.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Swansea Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

An abandoned Glamorganshire canal.

Waterway Description:

A 15 mile 1 furlong, 36 lock, canal from Henneuadd to Swansea, divided into two parts by the Trewyddfa Canal which formed part of the through route.

History:

Authorised by an Act of 1794, part open in 1796 and completed in 1798. Abandoned by a series of Acts from 1928 to 1962

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Tennant Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

The whole canal is within the old county of Glamorganshire.

Waterway Description:

Runs 8 miles from its junction with the Neath Canal, at Aberdulais, to Port Tennant, Swansea

History:

Started in 1821, without any Act of Parliament, and opened in 1824

For more details see the Waterway details page.

Trewyddfa Canal

Waterway's place in Glamorganshire :

An abandoned Glamorganshire canal.

Waterway Description:

A 1 mile 3 furlong canal from Landore to Fforest copper works near Swansea, Owned by the Duke of Beaufort but forming part of the Swansea Canal main line. It incorporated the earlier Morris's Canal.

History:

Authorised by the Swansea Canal Act of 1794, opened in 1796, bought by the Great Western Railway in 1873 at the same time as they acquired the Swansea Canal.

For more details see the Waterway details page.

External Web Sites Related to Glamorganshire Waterways

Powered by WebRing.

 

Jim Shead Waterways Photographer & Writer
Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Home Introduction Waterways List Waterways Map Links Books DVD Articles Photo Gallery
Features Contact me Glossary Boats Events List History Local Waterways Help Photo List