Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description of Tavistock Canal: Was a 4 mile tub-boat canal from Tavistock, Devon, to the quay on the River Tamar. There were no locks but there was a 2,540 yard tunnel through Morwelldown and a 237 foot inclined plane. The canal sloped to produce a current to assist navigation.
History of Tavistock Canal: Authorised by an Act of 1803, opened 1817, Mill Hill branch open 1819, closed in 1873. Now part of an open air museum.
For more details see the History page.
Related Books of Tavistock Canal