Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description of Thames & Medway Canal: A 7 mile barge canal with entrance locks and basins from Gravesend, on the Thames, to Strood, on the Medway. Included the 3,931 yard Strood Tunnel, later opened in the middle for a boat passing place and making two tunnels of 1,515 and 2,347 yards.
History of Thames & Medway Canal: Authorised by Acts of 1800,1804 and 1810, opened in 1824, tunnel opened at centre in 1830, shared the tunnel with the South Eastern Railway from 1845 to 1847 when the tunnel was closed to canal traffic. The rest of the canal was abandoned in 1934.
For more details see the History page.
Points of Interest of Thames & Medway Canal: The tunnel is still used by trains between Gravesend and Strood.
Related Books of Thames & Medway Canal
Related External Web Sites of Thames & Medway Canal