Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description of Greasbrough (Park Gate) Canal: Was a 1.5 mile, 4 lock, private broad canal from the Don at Park Gate to Greasbrough.
History of Greasbrough (Park Gate) Canal: Built by the Marquees of Rockingham to serve collieries and surveyed by John Varley in 1769, John Smeaton in 1775 and William Fairbank in 1778. Completed by Jessop in 1780. Use ceased around 1918.
For more details see the History page.
Related Books of Greasbrough (Park Gate) Canal