Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: Was a 5.25 mile, 2 lock, broad canal from The River Nene at Wisbech to Outwell where it joined Well Creek.
History: Authorised by an Act of 1794, opened in 1797, traffic ceased in 1922 and the canal was abandoned in 1926.
See Priestley's Navigable Rivers and Canals for more information.
Authorised by an Act.
For some years he had given the company satisfactory service as engineer at very moderate fees so now he was given a gratuity of 5 guineas.
Following a £1,670 bill for repairs he was censured for not producing reports on the defects at Outwell and not attending meetings.
Branch Line to Upwell - including the Wisbech Canal by Vic Mitchell & Keith Smith, Published by Middleton Press.