Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: Runs 9.5 miles from within 1 mile of Pocklington to the junction with the River Derwent, near East Cottingwith. Only the bottom 5 miles are navigable at present.
History: Promoted by an Act of 1815 and opened in 1818.
See Priestley's Navigable Rivers and Canals for more information.
It was decided to employ him on a survey of two possible routes for the canal.
Produced a report considering three lines for the canal of 8, 9.5 amd 13.5 miles in length and recommends the longest one.
He was asked by S H Copperthwaite, Earl Fitzwilliam's agent, to survey a line from above Sutton Lock to Pocklington. He said that this was impracticable and that the canal should join the Derwent at East Cottingwith. Without a survey he estimated that an 8 lock canal would cost £43,630 if taken to the Hull turnpike road plus £8,257 if continued another .75 mile and 2 locks into Pocklington.
He started his survey and was thinking of having another lock on the Derwent at East Cottingwith to raise the depth to 4 feet. He had seen several vessels stuck on a shoal here for 7 or 8 days. He was unable to complete the survey at this time as he was taken ill.
He completed his survey and produced an estimate of £32,032 for the line to the Hull turnpike road near Pocklington.
He is asked by George Bagley, one of the promoters, to extend his survey across the turnpike road to Pocklington. He produces a plan showing a further 5 locks into the town.
Promoted by an Act.
Summer January 1818
He is warmly thanked by shareholders for completing the work within estimate, although there was some overspend due to additional facilities add during construction.
The Pocklington Canal (Revised edition) Published by Pocklington Canal Amenity Society - Guide with sketches and maps..