Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: An 11.75 mile broad canal with 14 locks.
History: Authorised by an Act of 1777 and fully opened in 1779. Became part of the Grand Union in 1932.
See Priestley's Navigable Rivers and Canals for more information.
Autumn January 1776
He surveyed a line from the Trent below Sawley and just above the mouth of the Soar past Long Eaton, up the west bank of the Erewash river to a crossing aboveIlkeston. From there it followed the east bank to Langley Mill, a total rise of 108 feet 8½ inches according to his survey.
Authorised by an Act.
He was appointed engineer at a salary of £220 a year.
The top lock had to be taken down and rebuilt following his error in the levels. He was ordered to pay the £78 costs less the value of the bricks.
He was dismissed following his failure to keep proper accounts for land and damage compensation payments, and mistakes in the levels for the top lock.
Became part of the Grand Union.