Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: Various schemes for linking the English & Bristol Channels that were proposed but never built.
History: The first scheme started in 1768 when a group of from Taunton asked James Brindley to survey a route.The last scheme was originated by Thomas Telford in 1825 and was still being advocated as late as 1869.
He looked at a proposal for a canal from the Parrett near Langport to Seaton, but not connecting to the sea there.
Surveyed a line from the English Channel at Axmouth near Seaton through Axminster, Chard, Ilminster, Creech St Michael, Bridgwater, Huntspill and Backwell near Nailsea.