Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: A 31.5 mile, 3 lock, wide canal from the Forth & Clyde Canal at Falkirk to Edinburgh.
History: Authorised by an Act of 1817 and opened in 1822. Abandoned 1965. Re-opened by the Queen on the 24th May 2002, as part of the £78 million Millennium Link project to restore the Forth & Clyde and the Edinburgh & Glasgow Union canals.
See Priestley's Navigable Rivers and Canals for more information.
He and John Ainslie were commissioned to make a survey and suggest four possible routes between Leith and Broomielaw on the Clyde.
He and Robert Whitworth junior were commissioned to make a survey and suggest four possible routes between Leith and Broomielaw on the Clyde.
He was asked to comment on four proposed lines for the canal. He responded proposing a fifth line further north through Ratho, Winchburgh, Linlithgow, Falkirk, Cumbernauld and Hillhead or Drumpellier.
He reported on the two lines being considered at the time - his northern route and the Baton-moss line that ran by Ratho, Midcalder, Baton-moss and Cleland. He supported the Baton-moss line which was claimed to have inexhaustible supplies of coal.
He explained to the committee his plan for taking branches from his 'level line' into the counties of Ayr, Lanark, Haddington, Berwick and Roxburgh.
He commented favourably on Hugh Barid's plan the canal, particularly on the line taken, but recommended that the number of locks should be reduced by joining the Forth & Clyde Canal at Lock 20 instead of at Camelon.
Authorised by an Act.
It was reported that on his joint advice with Hugh Barid the three aquaducts (over the Avon, Almond and the Water of Leith at Slateford) were being built in an "unusually substantial and improved manner".
The Edinburgh & Glasgow Union Canal. By P Bonthron. First published.