Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: Formed by the merging of the Ellesmere Canal Company and the Chester Canal Company.
History: Formed in 1813 and taken over by the Shropshire Union in 1846.
See Priestley's Navigable Rivers and Canals for more information.
Formed by the merging of the Ellesmere Canal Company and the Chester Canal Company.
He recommended that the company make large improvements to facilities for traders at Ellesmre Port.
The completion of improvements to the locks and docks at Ellesmere Port for which he was engineer. These included a sea-lock leading out of the tidal basin into a separate still-water dock, 435 feet by 139 feet behind the warehouses, a second flight of canal locks and other improvements.
Taken over by the Shropshire Union.