Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: Attractive and historical countryside which includes Bosworth Field. Runs from Snarestone to Marston Junction on the Coventry Canal
History: Promoted by an Act of 1794 Opened from Marston to Moira in 1804.The section from Moira to north of Snarestone was abandoned in 1956 under the BTC Act.
See Priestley's Navigable Rivers and Canals for more information.
He had completed his survey for a canal, 31 miles and 3 furlongs in length, from Ashby Woulds through Market Bosworth and Hinckley to the Coventry canal at Griff. He estimated the cost as £46,396.
Surveyed the canal for Robert Whitworth.
Autumn January 1792
He checked Robert Whitworth's line for the canal.
Mid October 1792
He produced a plan, based on and adding to his 1781 scheme, for a canal from the Limeworks at Ticknall to Ashby Woulds then on to the Coventry Canal at Griff.The Ticknall end was to have branches to Cloud Hill and perhaps Staunton Harold it wes then to rise 84 feet through locks before descending 139 feet to Ashby Woulds. This section was to have a reservior 51 feet below the summit with water pumped by a steam engine and was estimated to cost £82,143. The level section from Ashby Woulds to Griff was estimated to cost £63,402.
Promoted by an Act.
Surveyed the canal with Robert Whitworth and William Jessop.
The Act was passed based on his and Robert Whitworth's estimate of £138,238 for the 30 miles and 3 fulongs canal.
It was agree that he and his son Robert would act as joint engineers, he spending three months a year on the canal and his son working full-time.
It was agree that he and his father Robert would act as joint engineers, he working full-time and his father spending three months a year on the canal.
His services and those of his son were teminated although it was agreed that they could be employed on a daily basis.
He was reported to be ill the previous month and now his services and those of his father were teminated although it was agreed that they could be employed on a daily basis.
After June 1797
Was appointed engineer for the canal.
Summer January 1798
He was asked to report on the feasibility of building tramroads to Ticknall and Cloud Hill instead of canals. He reported in favour of tramroads.
Opened from Marston to Moria.
He was sent by the canal committee to survey the coal tolls and drawbacks on eight neighbouring canals.
Originally from Moria, north of Snarestone, but this section was abandoned in 1956 under the BTC Act.