Text and photographs copyright of Jim Shead.
Top 100 Sites
Description: 18.25 miles from Inverurie to Aberdeen was closed each winter (Dec - Mar) because of ice and snow.
History: Authorised by an Act of 1796 and opened in 1805 closed in 1854.
See Priestley's Navigable Rivers and Canals for more information.
Spring January 1787
He proposes that the size of the planned canal should be increased to 27 feet 4 inches wide at the surface, 14 feet wide at the bottom and 4 feet deep.
Authorised by an Act.
He was appointed consulting engineer.